Pages

Friday, August 21, 2015

Central Illinois: About Me Post in a Creative Way

Central Illinois—I wouldn’t choose to live anywhere else. Every region has its own unique kind of beauty and splendor. The rolling fields that change from green to golden when you look at them from a different angle, the bright vivid green of the grass and trees all around you; the sheer density of color is astounding when you stop to think about it. It is easy to take the majesty of central Illinois for granted, until you’ve lived other places and realized how much you need that green surrounding you.

I was born in northern California, raised in Illinois, and went to college in Utah. I also lived in the state of Washington for a little bit. No matter where I go, I always end up back in Illinois, surrounded by forest and fields and green.


Growing up with four older brothers (and being the youngest, only girl) gave me a lot of time to myself when I was young. Instead of playing with siblings, I played with willow trees. Instead of dolls, I nurtured cobs of corn. Instead of a gymnasium, I ran in fields. Nature was my first family. My real family was almost second place in my heart. It’s not that I didn’t love them…I just connected with my surroundings more than the surrounding people.

Intuition is my first method of understanding the world around me. Sometimes, I just feel connected to things that I know understand me better than people do. Nothing feels more comforting than a wise, giant tree that has seen more than you ever will. The storms that it has weathered, the leaves it has lost, the branches that have been stricken down…it understands your struggles on a very fundamental, instinctual level. Nothing will ever get you as well as a tree does. When you are struggling and no one can say the right thing or have the right look behind their eyes, you will find the deepest understanding and comfort within your soul when you sit underneath a selfless tree.

A tree will never judge you for how tall you are in comparison. A field will never laugh at you for how far you can run through it. A flower will never look at you with pity for the lack of beauty you possess in its presence. Grass will never challenge you to grow faster than you are able.


While I love to experience new things, travel to new places, meet new people, and see life through different eyes, I will always return to central Illinois, where the green and the fields and the trees will welcome me back into their leafy arms. Expanding my mind will always be a priority in my life, but comforting my soul and easing my burdens will always be left to nature—my friend, my family, my majesty, my peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment